Tuesday, June 24, 2008

George

I see that George Carlin left us. Shit. I didn't know that the motherfucker was even in poor health. Why couldn't it be some other cocksucker. I don't think we've done any tributes to dead people since starting this site back in 1978. But there's a connection to Leper Pop. Not his death - we had nothing to do with that. Fuck, we're not that evil. We've been blamed for a lot of stuff, but we don't kill people. And we don't slam doors. That's just rude.

I'd always been a fan - he wasn't funny in a way that made me piss my pants, but I marveled at his word choice and usage of our language. It's almost ironic that perhaps his most famous routine caused such a stir with the cunts at the FCC. But I digress.

Back in 2004, I printed out the following excerpt from an interview he did while promoting one of his books:

CNN: What do you think of the state of the world today?

CARLIN: It's a big freak show. You gotta just enjoy it. That's my attitude. The human race is destroying itself slowly and it's wonderful to watch. It's being led by America, which has all the money and the power and the guns.

We're all given a ticket to the American freak show the day we're born and some people, they put their ticket away. Me, I watch the show.



That quote inspired our Leper Pop tagline - scalping tickets to the great American freak show. The more you know....

Oh, yeah. Tits.

4 comments:

interleper said...

Thanks. I was worried that you had stopped at 6.

That was a lovely tribute, by the way. Somewhere out there, George is digressing in return...

keysunset said...

That was a genious piece of writing there, Sid darlin'.

I read it earlier today and then, in my own very key-on-a-delay like way, puzzled over your last paragraph for about an hour wondering why you had ended it so. Then the light bulb came on.

You did George proud.

CK said...

Well, it looks like you proved that those 7 dirty words that you can't say on TV back in the day are just dandy on the internet, huh?

Anonymous said...

Synopsis: Comedy doesn't have to be funny.

BTW, now with Carlin gone, where is Bill Maher going to get all of his material?