Sunday, November 25, 2007

Next Great American Band - Nov 23

Rolling Stones night on NGAB. I don’t think I can get no satisfaction, but let’s start this up and see what happens.

First band up after nearly going home last week was Tres Bien with Get Off Of My Cloud. Wow. Four bars in and I know this week is going to suck. If they were auditioning for High School Musical 3, then they would have killed. This isn’t High School Musical, so they should be killed. But I’ll give them a reprieve if they promise never to do that again.

Who dares to be called next – Denver and the Invesco Field Orchestra. They did a cover of I’m Free that actually made me miss the Soup Dragons. The performance was so lame it may have been more exciting to watch them eat soup. Especially Campbell’s Chunky Soup. Those commercials crack me up, and the athletes who do them are cursed. I feel the same fate awaits Denver and crew.

Six Wire strutted out to do The Last Time and sped it up enough such that it didn’t suck as bad as I thought I would. That’s a compliment, although I wasn’t too keen on the Oak Ridge Boys harmonies going on. They are good musicians and very polished, but that’s not what I want to see on this show – I want to see scantily clad women and car crashes. But since that’s not possible, then how about a band that’s not a template for the Billboard charts?

Light of Doom got their permission slips signed to perform again and did Jumpin’ Jack Flash. They annoy me and the vocals sucked, so enough about them. But Dicko did mention that the Stones are good role models and LoD should research them. Yeah, a couple drug overdoses should give them some credibility.

The Clark Brothers were called out to give the show some real credibility and did Gimme Shelter. Wow. The other bands should just be ashamed of themselves.

Final slot came down to Dot Dot Dot and Cliff Wagner. Unfortunately, Cliff had to go home. I think it says a lot that I missed hearing what the Old #7 was going to do with the Stones catalog this week. May their moonshine run clear and may their jugs always be full. Or some sort of Tennessee blessing that might make sense to them.

So Dot Dot Dot performed Let’s Spend The Night Together. Dicko summed it up nicely for me – as lead singer you need to command attention instead of looking like you’re desperate for it. (Ed. Note: That works pretty well for sex, too.)

I don’t see how Denver can survive another week, but I’ve been saying that since I finished my Labor Day hamburger. Tres Bien always seems to be living on the edge, but they seem to be working that like Nadia Comaneci. Light of Doom makes my head hurt, but will probably continue. I can’t figure out if America is on board with D3. Six Wire and the Clark Brothers are safer than a Marine in Disneyland. See you next week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Six Wire strutted out to do The Last Time and sped it up enough such that it didn’t suck as bad as I thought I would. I had to read that a few times to understand what you were saying. That says something about where my mind is doesn't it ...

I want to see scantily clad women and car crashes. I'm sure Dukes of Hazzard reruns are playing on some station ...

then how about a band that’s not a template for the Billboard charts? Unfortunately we are watching the wrong show if that's what you're hoping for.


The Clark Brothers were called out to give the show some real credibility and did Gimme Shelter. Wow. The other bands should just be ashamed of themselves. They were fabulous! This is the first week that I have really enjoyed them and they knocked my socks off. And I wasn't even wearing any at the time.

Unfortunately, Cliff had to go home. I think it says a lot that I missed hearing what the Old #7 was going to do with the Stones catalog this week. I missed them too. Too bad they couldn't hang around as some sort of mascot to give us something interesting to watch instead of those annoying Burger King commercials. Tho my family makes the commercials more tolerable by muting the sound and making up our own dialogue and sounds.

Thanks for the write up Sid, you're the best.

Anonymous said...

I'd been feeling a lot better until this show came on and the vomiting returned just in time for the last band. Not saying the show caused it, but I'm not saying it didn't, either.

Damn that writer's strike or maybe they'd still be sending 2 bands home ever week.

Tho my family makes the commercials more tolerable by muting the sound and making up our own dialogue and sounds. That's how I feel about the show and Sid's commentary.